Friday, June 06, 2008

The Countdown: Friday

Late is the hour of my post. I worked from home today, which was probably a good idea as I would have melted getting in and out of the car. Around 7 I headed up to Performance Bikes to get a last minute trinket for my bike: a crappy basic computer. Originally priced at $49.99, it was marked down to $19.99. Then I saw the Polar CS200, same as I have on my road bike, for a considerable discount (but still $120). I briefly considered purchasing it, but I think I'm going to get a new watch and just use that for my Cervelo. I don't know yet. Regardless, I headed down to the pool afterwards and got in a short little swim set. I felt pretty good, rolled through a 600 warmup, then a 50-100-200-100-50 "main" set and then cooled down. It was a nice evening to swim.

I went from there over to Nick's house, via the Square. It was off the chain. So many hot chicks. It's days like this that I get jealous of normal people that don't spend their weekends racing.

Nick helped me with a few things on my bike, and then I returned home. I finally headed out for a run around 10pm. I realized that even though I didn't need the run, I needed to run, for sanity's sake. My foot felt alright, as I would hope it would after 3 straight days of no running. I do feel a little heavy, and need to make sure I'm conscious of what I eat tomorrow. I was running pretty slow, headed down to Boston St and then picked up the bricks behind Tindeco. Came back out on Boston, and went up O'Donnell through the Square. For the uphill mile through Canton I picked it up, and while the legs felt good, the humidity was crushing, even at the late hour. I managed to comfortably roll a 5:50, but realized that I wouldn't be able to hold that pace for more than a few miles. As much as I want to just start out at 6:00 pace on Sunday (well, want and able to are two different things), I may be a little more conservative at first. It's supposed to be quite warm (see: high 80s) and the sun will be strong.

I'm planning on getting up around 6:30 tomorrow, have a few things to do before I can leave, run through the final checklist, and then I'll be off. I'll get out to Cambridge and ride my bike until I feel warmed up, so about an hour to hour-fifteen I guess. It's funny how you lose motivation to do anything before a big event like this. Then I'll meet Emily and Bryan for lunch in Salisbury, check into the hotel, and maybe go for 4-5 miles easy, and stretch. HYDRATION is super important tomorrow, as will be rest.

I am considering bringing my laptop so if I do I'll check in tomorrow.

No comments: