Friday, September 25, 2009

3 weeks

First, a simple math equation:

Meniscus < ACL

I've had a number of people tell me recently about their knee surgeries, only to come to find out they were talking about their meniscus. Let's get one thing clear: ACL surgery is approximately one thousand times worse.

Meanwhile I had one of my worst days since surgery. I went to the pool in the morning and struggled through 2500m in the pool, bringing my week total to 9000m. That's not terrible. I'm disappointed because I'm swimming slower in the yard pool than I was swimming in meters before surgery.

I went over to PT after that and it was frustrating. I struggled at first to make it to 86 degrees, and that was disheartening. My range of motion is just not doing well. By the end of the session I was able to get to 90 again, but it was no easier than earlier in the week. Part of the problem today I think was that I swam before PT - which helps with building muscle but decreases flexibility.

My therapist then goes "when do you start running again?" so I of course reply, November 1st. He goes "five months" - I said you mean until I can race again? He says until I can run again. Yeah, that's not going to work really for me, let's try 2 months.

Surgery was 3 weeks ago today, allegedly by the end of next week I'm supposed to be able to start pedaling a bike.

No comments: